Place:


Yell  Shetland

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Yell like this:

Yell, the second largest of the Shetland Islands, in pars, of Fetlar and North Yell, and Mid and South Yell, separated from the Mainland by Yell Sound, 1¾ to 6 miles broad, 25 miles N. of Lerwick, pop. 2529; is 17 miles long from N. to S., and from £ mile to 6½ miles broad, and has a generally bleak and moorish surface, rising to a maximum alt. of 672 ft.

Yell through time

Yell is now part of Shetland Islands district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shetland Islands has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Yell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Yell in Shetland Islands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16683

Date accessed: 17th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Yell ".