Place:


Peebles  Peebles Shire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Peebles like this:

Peebles, royal burgh, par., and co. town of Peebles-shire, at the confluence of Eddlestone Water and river Tweed, 18½ miles NW. of Galashiels, 27 miles S. of Edinburgh, and 54 miles SE. of Glasgow by rail - par. (partly also in Selkirkshire), 16,597 ac., pop. 4059; royal burgh, pop. 2609; town (police burgh), pop. ...


3495; P.O., T.O, 3 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Tuesday. Peebles is finely situated in the valley of the Tweed, being well sheltered by lofty hills, and is a favourite summer resort. There is a large hydropathic establishment near the town. The mfr. of tweeds and other woollen, stuffs is carried on. Peebles was in early times a seat of the Scottish kings, was made a royal burgh in 1367, and was burned by the English in 1406. It was the birthplace of William Chambers (1800-1883) and Robert Chambers (1802-1871), publishers and authors.

Peebles through time

Peebles is now part of Scottish Borders district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scottish Borders has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Peebles itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Peebles, in Scottish Borders and Peebles Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16568

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Peebles ".