Place:


Torphichen  West Lothian

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Torphichen like this:

Torphichen, par. and vil., Linlithgowshire, on river Avon - par., 9939 ac., pop. 1526; vil.,1 ½ mile E. of Westfield sta. and 2½ miles N. of Bathgate, pop. 358; P.O.; has remains of the hospital or preceptory of Torphichen, the principal Scottish seat of the Knights of St John of Jerusalem; gives the title of baron to the family of Sandilands.

Torphichen through time

Torphichen is now part of West Lothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Torphichen itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Torphichen in West Lothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16552

Date accessed: 19th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Torphichen ".