Kirkintilloch  Dunbartonshire


In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Kirkintilloch like this:

Kirkintilloch, town and par., in detached part of Dumbartonshire--par., 7146 ac., pop. 10,591; town, on Luggie Water, adjacent to its confluence with the Kelvin, and on the Forth and Clyde Canal, 8 m. NE. of Glasgow and 400 m. NW. of London by rail, pop. 8029; P.O., T.O. 2 Banks; part of the Lenzie portion of the town is in Cadder par., Lanarkshire. ...

Kirkintilloch sprang from a fort on Antoninus' Wall, now represented by a flat oblong mound, at the W. end of the town, called the Peel. Numerous Roman remains have been found, including a legionary stone, preserved in the Hunterian Museum of Glasgow University. Kirkintilloch was made a burgh of barony in 1170; it became a burgh under the Police Act in 1871. Among its industrial establishments are chemical works, iron foundries, steam saw-mills, and a power-loom factory. The weaving of lappet muslin is carried on to a small extent, and coal mining is being rapidly developed in the district.

Kirkintilloch through time

Kirkintilloch is now part of East Dunbartonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Dunbartonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirkintilloch itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirkintilloch in East Dunbartonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 19th September 2019

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirkintilloch ".