Place:


Cilybebyll  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cilybebyll like this:

KILYBEBYLL, or CIL-Y-BEBILL, a parish in Neath district, Glamorgan; on the river Tawe, and the Swansea Vale railway, 5 miles N of Neath. Post town. Swansea. Acres, 4, 014. Real property, £5, 243; of which £3, 750 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 982; in 1861, 1, 346. Houses, 254. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor belonged formerly to the Herberts and the Turbervilles. Kilybebyll-Place is the chief residence. Much of the land is mountain; and much of that is clothed with wood. Large industry is carried on in the coal trade, and in the Primrose and Waunycoed collieries. A bridge, with one arch of 80 feet in width, spans the Tawe at Pontar-Dawe. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £123. Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church is old but good. There are a dissenting chapel, a national school, and charities £2 10s.

Cilybebyll through time

Cilybebyll is now part of Neath Port Talbot district. Click here for graphs and data of how Neath Port Talbot has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cilybebyll itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cilybebyll, in Neath Port Talbot and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1619

Date accessed: 07th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cilybebyll ".