Place:


Harston  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Harston like this:

HARSTON, a village and a parish in Chesterton district, Cambridgeshire. The village stands on the river Cam, near the Hitchin and Cambridge railway, 5 miles SSW of Cambridge; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Cambridge. The parish comprises 1, 48 0 acres. Real property, £3, 543. ...


Pop., 782. Houses, 174. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £200.* Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is perpendicular English; was recently restored; and consists of nave, aisles, and transept, with a tower. There are a free school, and charities £8.

Harston through time

Harston is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Harston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Harston in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1586

Date accessed: 21st May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Harston ".