Place:


Embleton  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Embleton like this:

EMBLETON, a chapelry, with a r. station, in Brigham parish, Cumberland; on the railway to Penrith, 2¾ miles E by S of Cockermouth. Post town, Cockermouth. Acres, 3, 870. Real property, £4, 179. Pop., 363-Houses, 73. The property is much subdivided. The surface is chiefly a pleasant vale, watered by a streamlet from the Wythop fells. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £97. Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is modern.

Embleton through time

Embleton is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Embleton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Embleton, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1559

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Embleton ".