Place:


Wooburn  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wooburn like this:

WOOBURN, or Woburn, a village and a parish in Wycombe district, Bucks. The village stands adjacent to the Maidenhead and Oxford railway, 2¾ miles SW of Beaconsfield; is large and scattered; consists of W.-Town, W.-Green, Cores-End, and Bourne-End; is near Marlow-Road r. station; and has a r. ...


station of W.-Green, a post-office‡ of W.-Green under Beaconsfield, a post-office of W. under Beaconsfield, several inns, and fairs on 4 May and 12 Nov. The parish comprises 2,850 acres. Real property, £8,853. Pop. in 1851, 2,026; in 1861, 2,245. Houses, 477. The property is much sub-divided. The manor belonged to Earl Harold; went to the Bishops of Lincoln, who had a palace here; passed to the Lovells, the Comptons, the Goodwins, the Whartons, and the Berties; and belongs now to J. Dupré, Esq. W. House was the deathplace of Bishop Smith, the founder of Brasenose college; was visited, in the time of the first Lord Wharton, by William III.; was rebuilt in 1750; and is now the seat of A. Gilbey, Esq. There are extensive paper and millboard mills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £150.* Patron, J Dupré, Esq. The church was restored in 1857. There are four dissenting chapels, a national school, infant schools, a mission-house, and charities £35.

Wooburn through time

Wooburn is now part of Wycombe district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wycombe has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wooburn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wooburn, in Wycombe and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1542

Date accessed: 10th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wooburn ".