Place:


Coychurch  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Coychurch like this:

COYCHURCH, or Coed-Dhu-Church, two hamlets and a parish in Bridgend district, Glamorgan. The hamlets are Higher and Lower C.; and lie on the eastern branch of the river Ogmore, adjacent to the South Wales railway, 2½ and 1½ miles E by N of Bridgend. Acres, 3, 910 and 1, 090. Real property, £1, 868 and £1, 626. ...


Pop., 316 and 295. Houses, 61 and 65. The parish includes also Pencoed hamlet and Peterstone chapelry; and it has a post office, of the name of Coychurch, under Bridgend. Acres, 9, 105. Real property, £6, 520; of which £440 are in mines. Pop., 1, 431. Houses, 301. The surface is diversified; and includes the Caer-Caradoc mountain. Coal and lime are worked. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Peterstone-super-Montem, in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £446.* Patron, the Earl of Dunraven. The church is a fine Cruciform edifice of the 14th century, similar to the church of Coyty, but larger.

Coychurch through time

Coychurch is now part of Bridgend district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bridgend has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Coychurch itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Coychurch, in Bridgend and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14559

Date accessed: 22nd May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Coychurch ".