Place:


Whiteshill  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whiteshill like this:

WHITESHILL, a chapelry in Stroud parish, Gloucester; 1 mile from Stroud r. station. It was constituted in 1843; and it contains Paganhill, Bread-Street, and Ruscombe hamlets,-the first of which has a post-office under Stroud. Pop., 1,516. Houses, 342. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £116.* Patron, the Bishop of G. and B. The church was built in 1841. There are an Independent chapel and a national school.

Whiteshill through time

Whiteshill is now part of Stroud district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stroud has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whiteshill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whiteshill, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14516

Date accessed: 22nd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whiteshill ".