Place:


Wykeham  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wykeham like this:

WYKEHAM, a parish, with two hamlets, in Scarborough district, N. R. Yorkshire; 3¼ miles N by W of Ganton r. station, and 6¼ SW of Scarborough. It has a post-office under York. Acres, 7,535. Real property, £4,360. Pop. in 1851, 643; in 1861, 521. Houses, 105. The manor belongs to Viscount Downe. A Cistertian nunnery was founded here, about 1153, by Pain Fitz-Osbert. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, not reported. Patron, Viscount Downe. The church is recent; and there are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Wykeham through time

Wykeham is now part of Scarborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scarborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wykeham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wykeham, in Scarborough and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14505

Date accessed: 23rd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wykeham ".