Place:


Wyke  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wyke like this:

WIKE, or Wyke, a township-chapelry in Birstal parish, W. R. Yorkshire; near Picklebridge r. station, and 4½ miles S of Bradford. It has a post-office under Normanton. Acres, 920. Real property, £10,949; of which £6,200 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 2,916; in 1861, 3,016. Houses, 659. ...


The manor belongs to the Low Moor Company. There are two worsted mills, dye-works, and a card manufactory. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £155.* Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1847; is in the early English style; and has a spire 120 feet high. There are an Independent chapel, a Moravian settlement, and a national school.

Wyke through time

Wyke is now part of Bradford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bradford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wyke itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wyke, in Bradford and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14504

Date accessed: 24th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wyke ".