Place:


Wintringham  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wintringham like this:

WINTRINGHAM, a township and a parish in the district of Malton and E. R. Yorkshire. The township lies 3¼ miles SE of Rillington r. station, and 7 E by N of New Malton. Acres, 5,740. Real property, £5,878. Pop., 331. Houses, 53. The parish includes Knapton township, and comprises 8,480 acres. ...


Post town, New Malton. Pop., 602. Houses, 100. The manor belongs to Sir G. Strickland , Bart. There are ancient British and Roman entrenchments. The living is a donative in the diocese of York. Value, not reported. Patron, Sir G. Strickland , Bart. The church was reported, in 1859, as bad. The p. curacy of Knapton is a separate benefice.

Wintringham through time

Wintringham is now part of Ryedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ryedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wintringham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wintringham, in Ryedale and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14483

Date accessed: 16th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wintringham ".