Place:


Westow  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Westow like this:

WESTOW, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Malton district and E. R. Yorkshire. The township lies adjacent to the river Derwent, 1½ mile ESE of Kirkham r. station, and 5½ SSW of New Malton. Real property, £1,876. Pop., 409. Houses, 77. The parish includes three other townships, and comprises 2,917 acres. ...


Post town, Kirkham, under York. Pop., 635. Houses, 123. The manor belongs to G. S. Foljambe, Esq. Limestone is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £300.* Patron, the Archbishop of York-The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1864. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a parochial school, and charities £10.—The sub-district contains 7 parishes and two parts. Acres, 22,969. Pop., 2,952. Houses, 575.

Westow through time

Westow is now part of Ryedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ryedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Westow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Westow, in Ryedale and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14449

Date accessed: 12th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Westow ".