Place:


Weaverthorpe  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Weaverthorpe like this:

WEAVERTHORPE, a township and a parish in Driffield district, E. R. Yorkshire. The township lies 5 miles S by E of Sherburn r. station, and 10 NNW of Great Driffield; contains a village of its own name; and has a post-office under York. Acres, 2,970. Real property, £3,838. Pop., 601. Houses, 132. ...


The parish includes Lutton township, and comprises 5,100 acres. Pop., 1,033. Houses, 222. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £300.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of York. The church has a Norman tower, and was recently in very bad condition. A chapel of ease is in Lutton; and there are two Methodist chapels.

Weaverthorpe through time

Weaverthorpe is now part of Ryedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ryedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Weaverthorpe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Weaverthorpe, in Ryedale and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14436

Date accessed: 22nd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Weaverthorpe ".