Place:


Snainton  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Snainton like this:

SNAINTON, a township-chapelry, with a village, in Brompton parish, N. R. Yorkshire; 3 miles NNE of Heslerton r. station, and 9 SW by W of Scarborough. It has a post-office under York. Acres, 4,250. Real property, £5,369. Pop., 713. Houses, 155. The living is annexed to Brompton. The church was rebuilt in 1836. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £6.

Snainton through time

Snainton is now part of Scarborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scarborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Snainton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Snainton, in Scarborough and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14244

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Snainton ".