Place:


Sherburn  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sherburn like this:

SHERBURN, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in the district of Scarborough and E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 1 mile S of the York and Scarborough railway, and 10 SW of Scarborough; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office‡ under York. The parish comprises 4,630 acres. ...


Real property, £4,735. Pop. in 1851, 656; in 1861, 744. Houses, 144. The manor belongs to Viscount Downe. S. Wold is a large tract to the S of the village. Malting and brewing are largely carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £120.* Patron, Sir G. Cholmley, Bart. The church is ancient. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.—The sub-district contains three parishes, and comprises 12,460 acres. Pop., 1,564. Houses, 288.

Sherburn through time

Sherburn is now part of Ryedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ryedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sherburn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sherburn, in Ryedale and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14205

Date accessed: 15th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sherburn ".