Place:


Scruton  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Scruton like this:

SCRUTON, a village and a parish in Bedale district, N. R. Yorkshire. The village stands near the North-allerton and Leyburn railway, 3½ miles N E of Bedale; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Bedale. The parish comprises 2,066 acres. Real property, £4, 194. Pop., 408. Houses, 96. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £550.* Patron, H. Coore, Esq. The church is ancient, and was recently restored. There are a national school, and charities £17.

Scruton through time

Scruton is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Scruton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Scruton, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14188

Date accessed: 14th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Scruton ".