Place:


Ruswarp  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ruswarp like this:

RUSWARP, a township in Whitby parish, N. R. Yorkshire; on the river Esk and the Whitby railway, 2¼ miles S W of Whitby. It has a station on the railway, a suspension bridge, a dissenting chapel, and two Lancasterian schools; and it includes the hamlet of Stakesby. Real property, £18, 818; of which £950 are in quarries, and £25 in fisheries. Pop. in 1851, 2, 163: in 1861, 2, 995. Houses, 620.

Ruswarp through time

Ruswarp is now part of Scarborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scarborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ruswarp itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ruswarp, in Scarborough and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14155

Date accessed: 19th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ruswarp ".