Place:


Withern  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Withern like this:

WITHERN, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Louth district, Lincoln. The village stands 2½ miles ENE of Claythorpe r. station, and 4½ NNW of Alford; and has a post-office under Alford.—The parish includes Stain hamlet, and comprises 2,669 acres. Real property, £4,668. ...


Pop., 528. Houses, 107. The property is subdivided. A seat of the Fitzwilliamses, now a farmhouse, stands near a large square moated area, which probably was a Danish camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £420. Patron, R. Vyner, Esq. The church is modern. There are two Methodist chapels, a national school, and charities £11.--The subdistrict contains 20 parishes. Acres, 27,131. Pop., 4,643. Houses, 932.

Withern through time

Withern is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Withern itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Withern, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14099

Date accessed: 09th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Withern ".