Place:


Sturminster Marshall  Dorset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sturminster Marshall like this:

STURMINSTER-MARSHALL, a village and a parish in Wimborne district, Dorset. The village stands on the river Stour, near Bailey-Gate r. station, 4 miles W of Wimborne-Minster; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Wimborne, and an eight-arched bridge. The parish contains Coombe-Almer tything, and comprises 3,851 acres. Real property, £6,155. Pop., 850. Houses, 185. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £303.* Patron, Eton College. The church is not good. There is an endowed school with £39 a year.

Sturminster Marshall through time

Sturminster Marshall is now part of East Dorset district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Dorset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sturminster Marshall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sturminster Marshall in East Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13945

Date accessed: 25th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sturminster Marshall ".