Place:


Pool  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pool like this:

POOLE, a village and a township-chapelry in Otley parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Wharfe, adjacent to the Leeds, Otley, and Ilkley railway, 3 miles E of Otley; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Otley. The chapelry comprises 810 acres. Real property, £2, 107. Pop., 337. Houses, 76. The manor belongs to J. Pulleine, Esq. Paper-making is largely carried on, and there is some spinning. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £69. Patron, the Vicar of Otley. The church is recent; and there is a Wesleyan chapel.

Pool through time

Pool is now part of Leeds district. Click here for graphs and data of how Leeds has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pool itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pool, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13918

Date accessed: 11th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pool ".