Place:


Pollington  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pollington like this:

POLLINGTON, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Snaith parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the Goole canal, 2¾ miles S W of Snaith r. station; has a post-office under Selby; and gives the titles of Baron and Viscount to the Earl of Mexborough. The township comprises 1, 960 acres. ...


Real property, £2, 750. Pop., 501. Houses, 111. The chapelry is more extensive than the township; bears the name of Pollington, with-Balne; and was constituted in 1855. Pop., 863. Houses, 184. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £120.* Patron, Viscount Downe. The church is in Balne, and was built by Lord Downe.

Pollington through time

Pollington is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pollington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pollington, in East Riding of Yorkshire and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13915

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pollington ".