Place:


Owthorne  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Owthorne like this:

OWTHORNE, a village, a township, and a parish, in Patrington district, E. R. Yorkshire. The villagetands on the coast, ¾ of a mile N of Withernsea r. station, and 4½ N E of Patrington; has, at various periods, sustained considerable damage from encroachments of the sea; and is now a sea-bathing resort. ...


The township comprises 1, 100 acres of land, and 178 of water. Real property, £2, 711. Pop. in 1851, 163; in 1861, 424. Houses, 84. The increase of pop. was caused mainly by extension of railway communication. The parish contains also the townships of Waxholme, South Froding-ham, and Rimswell; and its post town is Withernsea, under Hull. Acres, 4, 430; of which 391 are water. Real property, £7,070. Pop. in 1851, 462; in 1861, 704. Houses, 141. The property is much subdivided. An ancient British canoe, horns of the red deer, and portions of trees were not long ago found near the site of the village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £282.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The old church was destroyed by the sea, during a storm in 1816. The new church stands at Rimswell, about 2 miles from the sea; and is an edifice of yellow brick, with a tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Owthorne through time

Owthorne is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Owthorne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Owthorne, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13882

Date accessed: 21st November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Owthorne ".