Place:


Ottringham  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ottringham like this:

OTTRINGHAM, a village and a parish in Patrington district, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on Ottringham drain, near the Hull and Holderness railway, 3¼ miles W N W of Patrington; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post-office under Hull. The parish comprises 4, 320 acres. ...


Real property, £7, 824. Pop., 644. Houses, 136. The property is much sub-divided. The manor belongs to F. and W. Watts, Esqs. Ottringham drain rises a short way N of the village, and runs 5½ miles south-south-westward to the Humber. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £83. Patron, F. Watts, Esq. The church is decorated English; comprises a clerestoried nave, open timber roofs, achantry, a S porch, and a tower with octagonal spire, 102 feet high; and was repaired in 1843 ' There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school with £5 a year from endowment, and church-lands £120.

Ottringham through time

Ottringham is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ottringham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ottringham, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13860

Date accessed: 13th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ottringham ".