Place:


Newholm  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newholm like this:

NEWHOLM-WITH-DUNSLEY, a township in Whitby parish, N. R. Yorkshire; on the coast, 2½ miles W of Whitby. Acres, 2, 254; of which 89 are water. Real property, £3,051; of which £100 are in mines. Pop., 382. Houses, 78. A maritime fort was built hereby the Emperor Justinian; and a Roman road, called Wade's Causeway, went thence to Malton. The Danes, with a numerous force, landed here in 867. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Newholm through time

Newholm is now part of Scarborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scarborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newholm itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newholm, in Scarborough and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13803

Date accessed: 19th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newholm ".