Place:


Newall  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newall like this:

NEWALL-WITH-CLIFTON, a township in Otley parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Wharfe, 1 mile N of Otley. Acres, 1, 473. Real property, £2, 721. Pop., 209. Houses, 39. Newall Hall is the seat of F. Billham, Esq. Ashfield House also is a chief residence. Edward Fairfax, the translator of Tasso, was a native.

Newall through time

Newall is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newall, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13802

Date accessed: 23rd September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newall ".