Place:


Muston  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Muston like this:

MUSTON, a parish, with a small village, in the district of Scarborough and E. R. Yorkshire; on the coast, and on the Hull and Scarborough railway, midway between Hunmanby and Filey r. stations, 1¾ mile S W of Filey. Post-town, Filey, Yorkshire. Acres, 2, 226. Real property, £4,068. ...


Pop., 391. Houses, 74. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to Admiral Mitford. Muston Hall and Muston Lodge are chief residences. Stone is quarried. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £256. Patron, Admiral Mitford. The church is ancient but good, and has a bell-turret. There are chapels for Independents and Primitive Methodists, and a national school.

Muston through time

Muston is now part of Scarborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scarborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Muston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Muston, in Scarborough and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13755

Date accessed: 17th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Muston ".