Place:


Charlton Marshall  Dorset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Charlton Marshall like this:

CHARLTON-MARSHALL, a parish in Blandford district, Dorset; on the river Stour, near the Blandford railway, 2 miles S of Blandford-Forum. It has a post office, of the name of Charlton, under Blandford. Acres, 2,100. Real property, £2,732. Pop., 553. Houses, 114. The property is divided among a few. ...


Roman coins have been found. The parish is a meet for the Blackmoor barriers. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Spetisbury, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church was built in 1727; and contains a monument of Wake, the founder of the corporation for the sons of the clergy. There is an Independent chapel.

Charlton Marshall through time

Charlton Marshall is now part of North Dorset district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Dorset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Charlton Marshall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Charlton Marshall in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13597

Date accessed: 22nd July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Charlton Marshall ".