Place:


Scotter  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Scotter like this:

SCOTTER, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Gainsborough district, Lincoln. The village stands 3¼ miles N by W of Northorpe r. station, and 3¾ W N W of Kirton-in-Lindsey; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Kirton-Lindsey, a horse and cattle fair on 6 July, and a pleasure fair on 10 July. ...


The parish contains also two hamlets, and extends to the river Trent. Acres, 4, 630. Real property, £7,012. Pop., 1, 167. Houses, 267. The property is much subdivided. S. Hall is the seat of G. Roadley, Esq. Some ancientspurs and a helmet have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £1,000. Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is ancient, and has undergone extensive alterations and repairs. There are four dissenting chapels, a national school, and charities £8.—The sub-district contains eleven parishes, part of another, and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 30, 104. Pop., 4, 706. Houses, 1,017.

Scotter through time

Scotter is now part of West Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Scotter itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Scotter, in West Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13545

Date accessed: 24th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Scotter ".