Place:


Saleby  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Saleby like this:

SALEBY, a village and a parish in Louth district, Lincoln. The village stands 2¼ miles N N E of Alford r.station, and has a post-office under Alford. The parish contains also the hamlet of Thoresthorpe, and comprises 1, 770 acres. Real property, £2, 526. Pop., 244. Houses, 44. The manor belongs to Sidney College, Cambridge. ...


The Grange is the seat of J. S. Lister, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £240.* Patrons, the Governors of Alford grammar school. The church was recently rebuilt. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £17.

Saleby through time

Saleby is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Saleby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Saleby, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13517

Date accessed: 21st November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Saleby ".