Place:


Melsonby  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Melsonby like this:

MELSONBY, a village and a parish in Richmond district, N. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 5½ miles N by E of Richmond, and 5½ NNW of Scorton r. station; and has a post office under Darlington. The parish comprises 2,669 acres. Real property, £3,973. Pop., 471. Houses, 106. ...


The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Messrs. Swan, Clough, and Co. of York. A Benedictine nunnery was founded here in the time of Henry II., was destroyed before the Reformation, and has left some traces. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £809.* Patron, University College, Oxford. The church is ancient but good. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school, and charities £9. A railway 6¾ miles long, to the Darlington and Barnard-Castle line, was authorized in 1866.

Melsonby through time

Melsonby is now part of Richmondshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Richmondshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Melsonby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Melsonby, in Richmondshire and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13474

Date accessed: 05th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Melsonby ".