Place:


Linton upon Ouse  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Linton upon Ouse like this:

LINTON-UPON-OUSE, a township in Newton-upon-Ouse parish, N. R. Yorkshire; on the upper level of the river Ouse, 6 ½ miles SW of Easingwold. Acres, 2,030. Real property, £2,519. Pop., 253. Houses, 52. The property belongs to University College, Oxford. A selfacting wasteboard was constructed at Naburn-lock on the Upper Ouse navigation, at a cost of £300, and the depth of water thence to Linton-locks was so increased as to admit of vessels of 7 feet draught passing on to Boroughbridge. A Church of England school is here, with endowment of £25 a year.

Linton upon Ouse through time

Linton upon Ouse is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Linton upon Ouse itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Linton upon Ouse, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13314

Date accessed: 22nd January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Linton upon Ouse ".