Place:


Leake  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Leake like this:

LEAKE, a township in Northallerton district, and a parish partly also in Thirsk district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies 4½ miles NE of Otterington r. station, and 5½ SE of Northallerton; and anciently contained a flourishing town, which was destroyed about the time of the Conquest. ...


Acres, 210. Real property, £655. Pop., 17. House, 1.—The parish contains also the township of Borrowby, which has a post office under Thirsk; and contains likewise the chapelry of Nether Silton, and the townships of Gueldable, Crosby, Landmoth-with-Catto, and Knayton-with-Brawith. Acres, 7, 520. Real property, £9, 968. Pop., 1, 092. Houses, 261. The property is divided among a few. An ancient mansion, the quondam seat of the Danby family, is now a farm-house. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Nether Silton, in the diocese of York. Value, £310. Patron, the Bishop of Ripon. The church is ancient but good, and has a tower. Several stone coffins, supposed to have been Saxon or Danish, have been exhumed in the churchyard. Charities, £15.

Leake through time

Leake is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Leake itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Leake, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13281

Date accessed: 08th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Leake ".