Place:


Port Talbot  Glamorgan

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Port Talbot like this:

Port Talbot, small port with ry. sta., in 8. of Glamorgan, on E. side of Swansea Bay, 12¼ miles NW. of Bridgend; P.O., T.O.; is the port for Aberavon (2 miles N.), has a floating harbour with great depth of water, and is frequented by numerous coasting vessels. There is communication between this place and Bristol by steam packets. At Port Talbot are situated the Cwm Avon Copper Works, the metal from which is used for the copper coinage. See ABERAVON.

Port Talbot through time

Port Talbot is now part of Neath Port Talbot district. Click here for graphs and data of how Neath Port Talbot has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Port Talbot itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Port Talbot, in Neath Port Talbot and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1322

Date accessed: 22nd May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Port Talbot ".