Place:


Shapwick  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shapwick like this:

SHAPWICK, a village and a parish in Bridgewater district, Somerset. The village stands under Polden Hill, 2 miles S of the Glastonbury railway, and 5½ W by S of Glastonbury; and has a post-office under Bath, and a r. station. The parish includes a detached portion, and comprises 3, 781 acres. ...


Real property, £4, 644. Pop., 407. Houses, 88. The manor, with S. House, belongs to G. Warry, Esq. The living is a vicarage, united with Ashcott, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £350.* Patron, Sir G. Montgomery, Bart. The church was restored in 1861. There is a national school. Charities, £8.

Shapwick through time

Shapwick is now part of Sedgemoor district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sedgemoor has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shapwick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shapwick, in Sedgemoor and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13212

Date accessed: 14th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shapwick ".