Place:


Kirby Wiske  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirby Wiske like this:

KIRBY-WISKE, a township and a parish in Thirsk district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Wiske, near its influx to the Swale, and near the Northeastern railway, 2 miles S of Otterington r. station, and 4½ NW of Thirsk; and has a post office under Thirsk. Acres, 1, 089. Real property, £1, 995. ...


Pop., 209. Houses, 49. The parish contains also the townships of Maunby, Newby-Wiske, and Newsham-withBreckenbrough. Acres, 5, 853. Real property, £9, 136. Pop. in 1851, 1, 079; in 1861, 866. Houses, 191. About half of the land is in pasture. Traces of a Roman camp are at K. W. township. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £643.* Patron, the Duke of Northumberland. The church is ancient; and has a fine Norman door, and a tower. Charities, £36. Roger Ascham, Dr. George Hickes, and Archbishop Palliser were natives.

Kirby Wiske through time

Kirby Wiske is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirby Wiske itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirby Wiske, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13207

Date accessed: 09th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirby Wiske ".