Place:


Kirby Knowle  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirby Knowle like this:

KIRBY-KNOWLE, a township and a parish in Thirsk district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies under the Hambledon hills, 4¾ miles NE by N of Thirsk r. station. Acres, 1, 556. Real property, £1, 197. Pop., 116. Houses, 22.—The parish contains also the township of Balk, and that of Bagby-with-Islebeck; and includes two small detached portions. ...


Post town, Thirsk-Acres, 4, 101. Real property, £5, 233. Pop., 504-Houses, 100. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £404. * Patron, Lady Frankland Russell. The church is partly ancient, and was partly rebuilt in 1815. There is a chapel of ease at Bagby. Charities, £6.

Kirby Knowle through time

Kirby Knowle is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirby Knowle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirby Knowle, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13202

Date accessed: 09th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirby Knowle ".