Place:


Kildale  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kildale like this:

KILDALE, a parish in Stokesley district, N. R. Yorkshire; on the North Yorkshire and Cleveland railway, 6 miles E by N of Stokesley. It has a station on the railway; and its post town is Stokesley, under Northallerton. Acres, 5, 730. Real property, £2, 049; of which £100 are in quarries. ...


Pop., 221. Houses, 40. The property is all in one estate. Kildale Hall is the seat of Mrs. Livesey. Much of the land is moor and mountain. An old castle of the Percys was here. A crutched friary was begun to be built here, in the park of the Percys, about 1312, but was left off unfinished, by interdiction of Archbishop Grenfield; and the site of it is now called Percy Cross. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £120. Patron, Mrs. Livesey. The church was rebuilt in 1714, in the room of a Saxon one; and has a tower..

Kildale through time

Kildale is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kildale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kildale, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13182

Date accessed: 15th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kildale ".