Place:


Kilburn  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kilburn like this:

KILBURN, a village and a township in Thirsk district, and a parish, partly also in Helmsley district, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on a declivity, under the Hambledon hills, 2 miles N of Coxwold r. station, and 6 ESE of Thirsk; and has a post office under Thirsk. The township, with Hood-Grange extra-parochial tract, comprises 2, 868 acres. ...


Pop. of the township alone, 434. Houses, 107. The parish contains also the townships of Oldstead, Wass, and Thorpe-le-Willows. Acres, 4, 970. Real property, £3, 449. Pop. in 1801, 819; in 1861, 700. Houses, 162. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Archbishop of York. The Living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £300. Patron the Archbishop of York. The church is ancient but good, and has a tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school, and charities £18.

Kilburn through time

Kilburn is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kilburn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kilburn, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13181

Date accessed: 09th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kilburn ".