Place:


Heslington  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Heslington like this:

HESLINGTON-ST. PAUL, a village and a parish in York district and E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands in the vale of the Ouse, 2¼ miles ESE of York r. station; and has a post office, of the name of Heslington, under York. The parish comprises 1, 187 acres. Real property, with H. ST. Lawrence, £5, 020. ...


Rated property of H. ST. P. alone, £1, 295. Pop., 233. Houses, 49. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Mrs. Lloyd. Heslington Hall belonged to the Heskeths; passed to the Yarburghs; is a fine specimen of Tudor architecture; and is said to have been built for the reception of Queen Elizabeth, when visiting the north. Two stone coffins, and some very ancient bracelets and gold rings, were found, in 1855, in a gravel pit near the village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £63. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church was rebuilt in 1858, and is a handsome edifice, with a spire. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans.

Heslington through time

Heslington is now part of York district. Click here for graphs and data of how York has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Heslington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Heslington, in York and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12895

Date accessed: 08th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Heslington ".