Place:


Heslerton  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Heslerton like this:

HESLERTON, a parish in the district of Malton and E. R. Yorkshire; on the York and Scarborongh railway, 8¼ miles NE by E of New Malton. It has a station on the railway, and a post office, of the name of West Heslerton, under York; and it consists of the two townships of East H. and West H. ...


Acres of E. H., 3, 990; of W. H., 2, 180. Real property, £3, 455 and £2, 697. Pop., 262 and 341. Houses, 46 and 67. The manor of E. H. belongs to Sir Tatton Sykes, Bart.; and that of W. H. o Viscount Downe. W. H. House is a chief residence. the living consists of W. H. rectory and E. H. chapelry, n the diocese of York. Value, £465.* Patron, the crown. The church of W. H. is ancient, with a turret; and contains monuments of the Fowlis family, a monument to SirSykes, and a canopied font of Caen stone, presented in 1855 by Lord Downe. The church of E. H. also is ancient, with a turret. There are two Wesleyan chapels, and a national school.

Heslerton through time

Heslerton is now part of Ryedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ryedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Heslerton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Heslerton, in Ryedale and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12894

Date accessed: 22nd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Heslerton ".