Place:


Oadby  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oadby like this:

OADBY, a village and a parish in Blaby district, Leicestershire. The village stands 2¾ miles E N E of Wigston r. station, and 3½ S E of Leicester; is a large place, chiefly of one long street, very clean and neatlyedificed; carries on framework-knitting for the Leicester manufacturers; and has a postal letter-box under Leicester, and an inn. ...


The parish comprises 1, 560 acres. Real property, £5, 707. Pop. in 1851, 1, 196; in 1861, 1, 254. Houses, 268. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to H. L. Powys-Keck, Esq. The parish is a meet for the Quarndon hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £210. Patrons, Certain Guardians. The church is ancient; was extensively repaired in 1853; has a tower with octagonalspire; and contains a piscina, sedilia, and several ancient monuments. There are chapels for Baptists and Primitive Methodists, national and infant schools, and charities £44.

Oadby through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Oadby and Wigston has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Oadby go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oadby, in Oadby and Wigston and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1284

Date accessed: 25th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Oadby ".