Place:


East Harlsey  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Harlsey like this:

HARLSEY (EAST), a village and a parish in Northallerton district, N. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 2 miles SE of Welbury r. station, and 5½ NE by N of Northallerton; and has a post-office under Northallerton, The parish includes also the ville of Mount Grace, and comprises 2,802 acres. ...


Real property, £4,113. Pop., 430. Houses, 92. The property is much subdivided. Harlsey Hall is a chief residence. Freestone and ironstone exist, but are not worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £200.* Patron, J. Beaumont, Esq. The church is ancient but good; and has a bell-tower. Ruins of a Carthusian priory, founded in 1396 by the Duke of Surrey, are at Mount Grace; and remains of a Lady Chapel, founded in 1515, are on a neighbouring eminence.

East Harlsey through time

East Harlsey is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Harlsey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Harlsey, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12832

Date accessed: 06th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Harlsey ".