Place:


Dundry  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dundry like this:

DUNDRY, a parish in Bedminster district, Somerset; near the Bristol and Exeter railway, 4¼ miles SSW of Bristol. It contains the tythings of East Dundry, West Dundry, and Littleton; and has a post office under Bristol, and a fair on 12 Sept. Acres, 2, 799. Real property, £7, 339. Pop., 556. ...


Houses, 111. The property is much subdivided. Dundry hill is an outlying ridge of inferior oolite, nearly 4 miles long, and about 700 feet high; and has yielded great abundance of interesting fossils, some of which are preserved in a museum in Bristol. The oolite rock on the hill is quarried. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Chew Magna, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. The church stands on Dundry hill; is in very good condition; and has a conspicuous tower, visible from almost every vantage-ground in the neighbourhood of Bristol and Clifton. Fine views are obtained here, over the circumjacent country, to the Welsh, the Quantock, the Malvern, and the Wiltshire hills. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £26.

Dundry through time

Dundry is now part of North Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dundry itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dundry in North Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12797

Date accessed: 09th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dundry ".