Place:


Ganton  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ganton like this:

GANTON, a village and a parish in the district of Scarborough, and E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands near the York and Scarborough railway, 8 miles SSW of Scarborough; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under York. The parish includes also the township of Potter-Brompton. Acres, 3, 650. ...


Real property, £3, 0 47. Pop., 352. Houses, 61. The property is all in one estate. Ganton Hall, a neat edifice, is the seat of Sir T. D. Legard, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £131.* Patron, Sir T. D. Legard, Bart. The church is ancient but good; and has a lofty tower and spire.

Ganton through time

Ganton is now part of Ryedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ryedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ganton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ganton, in Ryedale and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12654

Date accessed: 22nd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ganton ".