Place:


Cowpen  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cowpen like this:

COWPEN, a township in Horton parish, Northumberland; at the mouth of the river Blyth, 1 mile W by N of Blyth. It has a post office, of the name of Cowpen, Northumberland. Acres, 1, 707. Pop., 6, 291. Houses, 1, 238. Coal is largely worked. There is a Roman Catholic chapel.

Cowpen through time

Cowpen is now part of Blyth Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Blyth Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cowpen itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cowpen, in Blyth Valley and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1257

Date accessed: 18th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cowpen ".