Place:


Bedwas  Monmouthshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bedwas like this:

BEDWAS, a village and two hamlets in Newport district, Monmouth; and a parish partly also in Cardiff district, Glamorgan. The village stands near the Rhymney railway, 2 miles NNE of Caerphilly; and has a r. station. The hamlets lie around the village; bear the names of Lower and Upper Bedwas; and jointly comprise 4,207 acres. ...


Pop. of L. B., 422. Houses, 88. Pop. of U. B., 597. Houses, 115. The parish includes also the Glamorgan hamlet of Van. Post Town, Caerphilly, under Cardiff. Acres, 5,032. Real property, exclusive of Van, £3,806. Pop., 1,081. Houses, 214. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Ruddry, in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £380.* Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church is good.

Bedwas through time

Bedwas is now part of Caerphilly district. Click here for graphs and data of how Caerphilly has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bedwas itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bedwas, in Caerphilly and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1254

Date accessed: 19th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bedwas ".