Place:


Esholt  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Esholt like this:

ESHOLT, a township-chapelry in Otley parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Aire, near the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 3½ miles NE of Shipley r. station, and 5¾ N of Bradford. Post town, Guiseley, under Leeds. Real property, with Hawksworth, £4, 528. Pop., 369. Houses, 75. The property is divided among a few. ...


A Cistertian nunnery was founded here, in the 12th century, by Simon de Ward; went to the Calverleys; and passed to the Stansfields. Esholt Hall, a splendid modern mansion, the seat of W. R.Stansfield, Esq., now occupies the nunnery's site. The chapelry was constituted in 1854. The living is a p. curacy, united with the p. curacy of Hawksworth, in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £100. Patron, W. R.Stansfield, Esq. The church is recent; and there are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.

Esholt through time

Esholt is now part of Bradford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bradford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Esholt itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Esholt, in Bradford and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12435

Date accessed: 17th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Esholt ".