Place:


Chorleywood  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chorleywood like this:

CHORLEY-WOOD, a chapelry in Rickmansworth pap rish, Herts; on the verge of the county, at the river Chess, 2¼ miles NW of Rickmansworth r. station. It has a post office under Watford. It was constituted in 1845. Pop., 939. Houses, 208. The property is divided among a few. Chorley-Wood House is a chief residence. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £40. Patron, J. S. Gilliat, Esq. The church is very good. There is a Baptist chapel.

Chorleywood through time

Chorleywood is now part of Three Rivers district. Click here for graphs and data of how Three Rivers has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chorleywood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chorleywood, in Three Rivers and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1239

Date accessed: 26th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chorleywood ".